Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Girly Dress Up

I'm not one for boxing my kids into gender roles but I really think some things are ingrained in kids.  Mr. J loves super heros, wrestling and dinosaurs whilst Miss E is immediately into anything pink, frilly and soft and fluffy.

Whilst culling our dress up collection recently, I realised there wasn't really anything in there that was, what one would call girly.  The only thing I found was a pink feather boa and funnily enough, this is what Miss E dresses up in when they play.  I decided it was time to add something to the dress ups that Miss E would want to wear.  I went through my stash and came up with these.


The fabric is a satin I picked up from Spotlight in the remnant bin a while back and the top is something my mum gave me to use for a project such as this.

I was originally going to make separate petal shapes for the skirt to make it look like a fairy costume.  However, I decided I wanted something I could whip up quickly for her and I also needed a quick sewing fix with only 1/2 hr to spare.

Here's what I ended up with.


When Miss E woke up and saw her new dress up, she was immediately impressed and wanted to wear it straight away.  That's enough praise for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment