Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Sewing Complete.

I have finally finished my Christmas sewing as of today.  I only had a few things left to do on outfits for my kids and most of it was hand sewing.  I hate hand sewing!  Luckily I was able to sneak in half and hour today to do button holes and sew on buttons whilst hubby was home for lunch and now everything is finished.  This is what I have ended up with for my kids.  (Please excuse the pictures, I took them underneath some lovely green shade cloth so everything is looking slightly ill.)


For those interested, here are some individual pictures with details of each item.  Firstly, Mr. J's presents.
Two shirts made using the trusty Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt.  I'm sure you have worked out by now I love this pattern.  The only fault I have found with it so far is the bulk in the hem where the front plackets fold up.  I have to use my walking foot to get through all the layers.  I think next time I will just overlock the hem and turn it up once.

A pair of flat front shorts using this tutorial from the 'Made' blog and a simple applique t-shirt to match.  The tutorial for these shorts is great.  I highly recommend it, in fact I recommend the whole blog for those of you who haven't already seen it.

Finally for Mr. J, a magnetic fishing game, complete with fishing rod and rather odd looking worm.  I was originally inspired by this blog post but wanted to use magnets rather than velcro and I hate the way velcro sticks to everything!  I was lucky enough to find some pretty strong magnets in a local store and the fish almost jump onto the rod.  This is the 3rd one of these I have made.  The other two are gifts for a friend of Mr. J and one of my nephews.

Now onto Miss E's gifts.

A simple knit dress made using this tutorial.  Very simple to follow and quick to make.  I will make this one again but next time I won't do the elastic casing with ribbing on the inside, I will cut the dress in two pieces with extra for the casing and stitch them together.

A simple skirt and applique t-shirt.  Very similar to this one I made for my niece.  I think I prefer the applique on my niece's t-shirt but this one is still cute.

A dress made using a vintage pattern.  However, I made a few modifications as I decided the original pattern wasn't quite right.  I decreased the size of the sleeve as they were far too big and frilly and added in some pin tucks and buttons for detail.  Thanks mum for the tip of sewing the pin tucks before I cut out the pattern, it worked really well and was very simple.

Here is a close up of the front detail.  It's a bit hard to see but you get the idea.

Finally, a Magoo monkey (which you will have seen before) using the pattern by the talented Melly and Me and a simple no sew tutu.

Hopefully I'll get some shots of the kids modeling their outfits after Christmas day but I can't promise anything.

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you have a happy holiday.

2 comments:

  1. These look great, and I've just added a few more things to my to do list! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks brilliant, you've done very well. What's the handy tip about doing pintucks???

    ReplyDelete