Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New Sewing Machine.

Now let me just start by saying the title of this post is a little deceiving.  Technically the machine isn't new but it's new for me and I think I got an absolute bargain.

First let me show you what I was sewing on.  Please note that I LOVE this machine and am not in any way saying anything negative about it.  As my sewing machine service man put it, "it's a work horse and will last forever."  Mum got this for me from a sale the local high school was having the year I started uni.  It was probably one of the ones I learnt to sew on!

Good old Elna machine from 1960's or 70's.  Note the school grafitti all over it.

Close up of grafitti.  I have looked hard but couldn't find my initials anywhere;-)
Now to my new toy.  Obviously I love my Elna machine and an upgrade at this stage in my sewing journey wasn't going to be anything too fancy (although I would love a rather expensive machine that does all sorts of fancy stitches).  I decided that I wanted something that did a little more than my basic machine and so started searching ebay.  To my surprise I found the good old Elna machines (models up from mine) going for more than $200 each.  However, one day I stumbled upon a machine and put a bid on.  To my surprise I got it for the bargain price of $80. 

Time to stop rambling and show you my new toy.


Alright, I know it's not that exciting but I'm pretty chuffed with it.  It's in really great condition (no grafitti on this one) and sews beautifully.  It's even quieter than my original machine which I didn't think possible.  It has space for cams on the top so I can get some nice fancy stitches if I like and it came with 7 different feet, 9 cams and 17 bobbins (a sewer can never have enough bobbins).

This is the exact model my mum has and she bought hers new in the early 70's.  It's still going and has had a lot of use in it's life.  It's made 3 deb dresses (actually I'm pretty sure there were a few extra deb dresses she made for friends), 3 wedding dresses, 10 bridesmaids dresses, 3 mother of the bride dresses, a mountain of calisthenics costumes, quilts, patchwork crafts and clothes for her children and now her grandchildren.  I hope my machine fairs as well as hers and that one day I can be as good at sewing as my mum.  She's one very talented lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment