I have used this pattern previously for these shorts but as you can see, even the smallest size I had (size 2) was still far too big around. Obvioulsy I wanted to keep the pockets so to take them in a little, I couldn't just run the sides in. I decided to take them in, down the front and back.
I cut these out in navy cord and put them together. They fitted perfectly around Mr. J but the crotch was too long so I went back to my pattern and took them up a bit in the crotch area. (I hope you can see my pinning.)
I used a little of the shirt fabric to line the pockets as I wanted to make a matching set but didn't want the pants to clash with other things in his wardrobe. Putting the green in the pockets was the best way to go. You can't see it from the outside, but if he sits down and the pockets pop open, it can be seen.