Sunday, April 17, 2011

Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt

Firstly I just want to say I LOVE this pattern.  For some time now I have been wanting to make Mr. J a nice shirt to wear and after my first terrible attempt here, I have been reluctant to give it another go.  However, browsing a few blogs and chatting with the girls on Essential Baby, I came across the Oliver + S sketchbook shirt.  After looking at the shirts the very talented Nic made from this pattern (see an example of her shirts here) I decided it was one I had to have.

This week I went through my stash of fabric with Mr. J and he chose one I hadn't expected him to but I was quite pleased he did.  It's a vintage print with Penny Farthing bicycles on it that I was given by my mum when she was cleaning out her stash.  I'm hoping she's pleased that her fabric has been put to good use.
I then began the tracing off of the pattern, cutting out and sewing together.  I was pleased with how well it came together and how easy the instructions were to follow.  In particular, I was very happy with the sleeves as I always seem to have trouble with easing in excess fabric but there is not a single pleat in either sleeve!

 Here's the finished product and I do have to say I am a little proud of myself.  I will definately be making this one again.  I think a long sleeve version might be next for Mr. J to wear to my 30th birthday in a few weeks.

I used snap closures in the end as I couldn't find buttons that looked right.  I think these go perfect with the vintage look but I am a little worried they'll pull out of the fabric with regular use.
Close up of shirt front.  Note the sleeves, no pleats!

Shirt back with yoke.  Very easy to put together.
One very happy model.
Shirt back in detail.  This shirt is designed to be left untucked.  You could make the pattern longer though if you wanted to tuck it in.
Close up of sewing on the pocket.  I have learnt from past sewing to make sure I sew little triangles at the top of pockets.
I think I'm going to have to go and buy some brown fabric to make a pair of matching pants now.  Perhaps I'll use a little of the green fabric in the pants to make them a matching set.

4 comments:

  1. The shirt is just lovely. Your son looked so proud of himself wearing it. I also think the snap fasteners worked a treat. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! You've done a great job and should be pretty damn chuffed with yourself. Well done, I think it's fabulous!
    Peta (YodaTWO from EB)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I actually love your sons fabric choice. It really is a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have sworn I commented already but the iPad must have eaten it! Anyway, I think the shirt is great, you've done an excellent job. It's such a lovely pattern isn't it. Love the choice of fabric ; I think a pair of relaxed brown cord pants would work really well with it :)

    ReplyDelete