Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finally Some Sewing Done

OK, so I'm not really happy with the final product but it's something finished at least.  This was my first attempt at making a collared shirt for Mr. J but silly me used a vintage jacket pattern instead of a shirt pattern.  I didn’t have a shirt pattern on hand when I decided I wanted to sew and so I thought the jacket would work just as well.  Unfortunately it didn’t.  That’s me being impatient for you, once I get an idea into my head, it has to be finished yesterday!

I did learn quite a few things from making the shirt though, one of which is that I need a lot more practice at the fiddly sewing bits like easing seams in by pulling up the stay stitching etc. 

I’m glad I’ve finally got some sewing on here and Mr. J has something he can wear that will be nice and cool for the warmer weather and I don’t mind if it gets a little grubby.

The sleeves look horribly uneven in this first pic.  I don't know how that happened as they looked fine everytime I tried it on him.  Perhaps he had it tucked up funny or his arms at a strange angle.  You can see that it's just not right though.  Sleeves are too big and doesn't sit well at the shoulders.

Nothing like a toddlers full tummy:-)  Definately not a comfortable looking shirt but Mr. J was happy.

Well, this one's a learn from that mistake shirt.  In the future, when I want to make a shirt, I'll use a shirt pattern (at least until I get as good at sewing as my mum anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment